Let's see. 2013 began with knowing I only had 5 1/2 short months until my daughter graduated high school and moved to LA. I also knew I NEEDED to figure things out...and quickly. Luckily, I had attended a Holiday party with a friend whom I deem my Coach and Mentor. She made a comment about how she has always viewed me as a "yellow" on the stoplight. I was shocked, but then again, I guess I never looked at how I do things in that way. Guess what? She was right! I also took some things to heart that my boyfriend said, which was "You are always so excited for everyone else...when will you be excited for YOU"? Hmmmm. Well, I felt a little beat-up, but I guess I needed to hear that, as it made me sit down and REFLECT on my life. What did I like to do, what was I good at and what have I heard from others? What is my PERCEPTION of me and how do others perceive me? It's interesting to find out too! I was attending a seminar one Saturday morning, feeling frustrated and lost. I sat down and started writing all those things and Coaching popped into my head!! It was not just a light bulb that turned on, it was a HUGE SPOTLIGHT! It was my Aha moment! I immediately started researching Coaching and what that meant.
I called my friend-coach-mentor and told her. She lit up as well! It was like she finally knew what to do with me! I enrolled in classes and am finishing up my certification. I have learned that I have been "Coaching" my whole life! I have helped people grow personally and professionally, just in different ways, using different tools, and not intentionally. So, in a sense, in 2013, I learned to live my life with INTENT! I finished up some projects with two great non-profits and focused on two things: 1) getting my daughter to LA safely, and 2) ME, MY BUSINESS AND helping others grow thru Coaching!
I feel incredible. I no longer feel lost. I'm calmer, less stressed and much happier! I have had some ups and downs with clients and in my personal life, but had I filled a jar with notes on the good things, it would have been filled up long ago! So, here goes nothing....my 2013 Year in Review:
- Found my path thru Coaching!!!!
- Found an awesome apartment for my daughter to live in for College!
- Didn't cry when she graduated or when I left her (ok, I didn't cry IN FRONT of her!!)
- I got two great clients thru one speaking opportunity!
- Had a fun trip to LA to get my daughter moved!
- My mother passed away, however I did get to see her before she died.
- The result of my Mom dying was that my Sister and I bonded. We both said our peace to our Mom and each other. I think we finally put a lot of our rivalry or whatever family BS gets in the way, aside. I know I realized I can't change her, and I hope the same for her. We are very much alike and very different in many ways and that is OK!
- I found two amazing coaches thru my classes and we talk monthly - one is in Michigan and the other Oregon!
- I had an opportunity to visit my daughter in LA!
- I had a successful surprise 50th birthday party for my boyfriend!
- I have met some more amazing people this year, who also make me smile and think about life in a different way!
- Due to a prospective client being "stuck" on her goals, Sip & Set casual gathering was created and I have 2 groups going and it's been a wonderful experience, watching them grow, connect and find their path...it's been enlightening for me as well! Personally AND as a Coach!
- I have set up workshops for 2014 and am very excited to get those going and help more people!
2013 wasn't all butterflies and unicorns. Financially it's been tough. Paying for classes while stopping working and focusing ONLY on my coaching business without any clients to start was painful. My boyfriend was just ramping up his business as well, so as many people know, financial strain can cause "strain" in other areas. Due to the financial challenges, we are moving...again. However, this move will allow us the opportunity to not be strained. It's a temporary move, and I've accepted it and am really excited about it! I already see a true vacation coming up! We will be able to get bills paid off, get money in the savings account and not have to check our accounts daily to make sure it's all "ok"! Luckily his business really has taken off. He's an architect and there are times recently when he's been "too busy" to do anything...and he asked me to help "coach" him on that. It can be tough, but I make sure when we are having any sort of discussion...he knows if it's personal or professional Sandi talking!
I did not hit running goals due to a stress fracture in my foot, and I missed a race, and actually missed my goal of 4 races, but found other ways to stay in shape vs. sitting around pouting. I got 2 of 4 races in. One was in January and was my longest ever...15k! My legs cramped badly after mile 7, I did not follow MY protocol the night before so I did not hit my goal, but only missed by a few minutes...not bad! And the best part, was officially meeting two more amazing women to start 2013 - Heather and Lainie! I haven't seen them since, (one is in Tennessee and the other Michigan) but we will see each other soon and run again!
Ok -well, that's it for 2013! I guess after re-reading this, my overall viewpoint or "theme" was "meeting amazing people" that enlightened my life, have helped me as much as I have helped them and learning how to stay busy without the chaos!!
I already know this year is going to be the best one in years! I can feel it! The excitement is in the air, is inside of me, and it's contagious!! Less of the bad, less chaos and A MAJOR YEAR OF ABUNDANCE...THE GOOD KIND!! More clients, more money, more time, more friends, more traveling, more money in savings, more good in the world and many, MANY more smiles and laughter from ME! With all of this, I will be able to help others more...thru money and time. And that makes me smile...more!
Cheers to you in 2014! What is making 2014 rock for you?